Not surprisingly, there are many mobile handsets, ink cartridges, toner cartridges, and camera batteries that keep lying around our homes and offices. Rather than allowing these to accumulate dust in your attic, or simply throwing them in the bin, which could have a harmful environmental impact, why not recycle them. Abiding by the E-Waste (Management) Rules, 2016, companies are taking an initiative to commence a collection mechanism which channelizes and disposes of the waste. To make our planet sustainable it is time we recycle the products which cannot be used further. Did you know that nearly 40 million tons of e-waste are generated all across the world every year? E-Waste is growingly exponentially just because the markets are now flooded with plenty of electronic gadgets, batteries and other devices which enter the waste stream. E-waste describes the discarded electrical components. Reasons as to why e-waste affects our environment:
- Most of the consumers are unaware that the electronic gadgets contain toxins which leach out into the soil, damaging our environment.
- The toxic materials present in these devices pose assorted health and environmental risks.E-waste takes longer time to biodegrade, which is a testimony that it occupies the landfill space for many years.
- Around ninety percent of the electronic components are imported from foreign counties, which take no responsibility of managing the e-waste.
- The e-waste is shipped under the pretext of humanitarian reasons, on the dispute that this old technology is reusable and will help to bridge the gap between the 1st and 3rd world.
- Most of the youngsters lack training in handling the toxic materials, exposing themselves to health risks while affecting the environment also.